Friday, March 23, 2012

What is your DOSHA? Wait...what IS a dosha?

I, like most people, love to take quizzes to find out more about myself. I have taken every quiz I can find, personality tests, IQ tests, numerology, astrology.....you name it! So, when my yoga instructor for the teacher training program I am in told us we were going to take a dosha test I was super excited....even though I had no earthly idea what a dosha was. There are 3 types of doshas, or body types, according to Ayurveda: Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Every individual has a little of each of the three doshas, but there is often one (or sometimes 2) that is more dominant than the others. I happen to be a Vata dosha....bigtime! Like, my middle name should be Vata.


Vata types are typically very thin with prominent joints and have trouble gaining weight. The elements represented in the Vata dosha are air and space, very movement oriented. When out of balance, a Vata dosha will have anxiety and nervousness. The air and space elements keep the Vata continually in motion, so it is important that Vata types do things to ground themselves.....like eating earthy foods and doing restorative yoga.  There are even lists of foods that will help balance out the Vata dosha and foods to avoid eating. 


If you are interested in what type of dosha you are, find out by clicking the link below and taking the short quiz:


No comments:

Post a Comment